About Advancing Net Zero
What is net zero carbon?
- A net zero carbon building is highly energy efficient with all remaining energy from on-site/or off-site renewable sources.
- A net zero embodied carbon building (new or renovated) is highly resource efficient with upfront carbon minimised to the greatest extent possible and all remaining embodied carbon reduced or, as a last resort, offset in order to achieve net zero across the lifecycle.
What is the initiative of Advancing Net Zero (ANZ)?
- “Advancing Net Zero” (ANZ) is WorldGBC’s global project which aims to promote and support the acceleration of net zero carbon buildings to 100% by 2050. Under this project, WorldGBC calls for business, organisations, cities, states and regions to reach net zero operating emissions in their portfolios by 2030 and for all buildings to be net zero in operation by 2050.
- • In a more recent “Bringing Embodied Carbon Upfront” report, WorldGBC also calls for at least 40% less embodied carbon for new buildings, infrastructure and renovations by 2030 and to advocate for net zero operational and embodied carbon by 2050.
About The Competition
Which two sites are chosen for this Competition?
- The Competition comprises two categories: (1) Future Building category (notional Grade-A office tower site in Quarry Bay, Hong Kong); and (2) Existing Building category (Oxford House in Quarry Bay, Hong Kong).
Any age and location restrictions? Any target organisations?
- No restriction on age and the origin of teams.
- The Competition is open internationally to multi-disciplinary organisation-based teams. A Submission made by an Entrant to the Competition can be a collaborative effort representing the work of a team of individuals from one or more organisations. Team members can be based locally and internationally, but the registrant on the registration form must be a registered local organisation in Hong Kong.
- Multi-disciplinary teams are encouraged which shall include (but not limited to) architects, designers, engineers, product and/or technology innovators, academics, etc.
How to register?
- To register for the Competition, each Entrant must create a user account on the Competition website (https://anzideassubmission.hkgbc.org.hk). Entrants must complete the online registration form. After processing, a confirmation email containing a Unique Registration Number and an activation link will be sent to the email address listed on the registration form for successful registrations.
- Submissions to the Competition can be uploaded to the Competition website only if Entrants are officially registered through the Competition website and in possession of a Unique Registration Number.
- No submission fee is required.
What are the criteria of disqualification?
A submission may be disqualified from the Competition if:
- An Entrant discloses its identity;
- It is received after the deadline;
- An Entrant contacts any Jury Panel members about their submission or improperly attempts to influence the decision;
- In the opinion of the Jury Panel, it does not fulfil the requirements of the Competition Brief;
- Any of the mandatory requirements of the Competition Brief and General Terms and Conditions are disregarded;
- Entrants disregard submission requirements and instructions.
Where can I find my 6-digit number?
- Once registered, the registration information would be processed by the Secretariat. After verification of the registration information, a 6-digit code will be given to eligible registrant for account login and submission via the registered email address.
Must the applicants be of the specific working field / academic background?
- There is no limitation or requirement on registrants’ working field and academic discipline.
I am a student. Can I apply individually or must be part of a team?
- A registrant shall provide a valid Business Registration/Certificate of Incorporation/equivalent and register on organisation-basis, regardless of the number of team member.
- Multi-disciplinary teams are encouraged, including but not limited to architects, designers, engineers, surveyors, product and/or technology innovators, academics etc. Student can be part of the team.
Must there be a Hong Kong resident in the group or can overseas people apply without being in Hong Kong?
- The registrant on the registration form must be a registered local organisation in Hong Kong. Team members can be based locally and internationally.
Is there any enquiry hotline?
- All enquiries relating to the Competition should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more details about the Competition, please refer to the Competition’s website at Call for Entries – ANZ Ideas Competition.
How to register and what are the conditions, expected deliverables or format of submission etc.?
- Please click on the “Register” button at the ANZ Ideas Competition website for filling the registration form.
- For detailed information of the Competition, please refer to the Competition Brief which could be downloaded from the Competition website at Call for Entries – ANZ Ideas Competition.
When can I proceed to the Stage One submission?
- Successful registrant who have received the 6-digit code could login here for submission.
- Entry submissions to Stage One are to be submitted online on or before 28 May 2021. Entrants may update their submissions up until this deadline and amendment to the submissions will not be allowed thereafter.
Where can I download the information of the Project Site?
- Please login here and download the information package at the Reference Material.
Is it eligible to submit a project that has been launched outside Hong Kong?
- All submitted works should be original or otherwise the author or source must be quoted and the consent from the source be obtained where necessary. Please refer to Clause 6.1.4 on the Advancing Net Zero Ideas Competition Brief (Version 1.1) which could be downloaded on the Competition website at Call for Entries – ANZ Ideas Competition.
Can I submit PowerPoint with animations or embedded videos?
- Animations or videos are not allowed for Stage One submission. Video is only required for Stage Two Submission. Please refer to Section 5 on the Advancing Net Zero Ideas Competition Brief which could be downloaded on the Competition’s website at Call for Entries – ANZ Ideas Competition.
The site area as shown in the Appendix C is deviated from the result generated by AutoCAD?
- Further explanation on site area has been made in Appendix C1.1 of the Advancing Net Zero Ideas Competition Brief (Version 1.1). Please refer to the Competition Brief which could be downloaded from the Competition website at Call for Entries – ANZ Ideas Competition.
Can I update the participant’s list after registration? Is there a deadline for updating the participant’s list?
- Registrants could login to their individual account for updating participants’ information. The participants’ list could be updated before deadline of Stage Two Submission.
For the Future Building Category, is it assumed that the Notional Grade-A Office Tower Site is empty (not occupied by One Taikoo Place)?
- The Notional Grade-A Office Tower Site marked in blue as shown in Appendix C1.2 in the Advancing Net Zero Ideas Competition Brief is vacant site and not occupied by any building.
Is the competition applicable to residential type or only applicable to commercial type?
- The selected project site for the Future Building category is a notional Grade-A office tower site located at 979 King’s Road, Quarry Bay. It should be designed as an office tower site.
Details of the project site, essential development parameters and reference building parameters are provided in Appendix C.1 of the Competition Brief (Version 1.1).
- The selected project site for the Existing Building category is Oxford House, a Grade-A office tower located at 979 King’s Road, Quarry Bay. It is an existing office tower.
Details of the essential development parameters, site layout and reference building parameters are provided in Appendix C.2 of the Competition Brief (Version 1.1).
A summary is required to submit for Stage One. What are the details/requirement about the summary?
- The summary part is shown on the submission page. Please login to your account to fill in the information accordingly.